Giving your notice
Eventually, you will move, and we want you to be prepared when this is necessary. HappyDoors tenants are required to give a 45 day notice prior to moving.
Before giving notice:
- Check your agreement to see if you are eligible to give notice. It will specifically state when you can give notice. A lease is a binding agreement for a set period and you may still be bound to the lease. Upon completing the term of the lease, it is then either renewed or month to month. Depending on the term of your lease, this can affect your eligibility.
- If you need to move and you are still committed to a lease period, contact HappyDoors management team to discuss your options. Pursuant to Hawaii State Law and the agreement, you may be responsible for
- Break lease fee
- Leasing fee
- Rent until a new tenant is secured
- Difference in rent value through the end of your agreement if replacement tenant is paying a lower rent amount
- Cost for advertising, when applicable
- Notices must be in writing. The day HappyDoors receives the notice is the date the notice begins. For example, do not fill out a notice with the current date and mail it five days later, thinking the date you mailed is the notice date.
- Notices should be sent via mail. HappyDoors may, at its discretion, accept notices by email.
Setting up your move out appointment
- After you submit your Notice to Vacate, HappyDoors will send you an instructional letter along with a checklist. This will instruct you on what to do during the notice period, and how to set up your move out appointment.
- HappyDoors only performs move out appointments during weekdays, 10 am to 4 pm. Weekend appointments are not available.
- Tenants are encourage to schedule their appointments in advance. A tenant may be responsible for additional rent in the event the final walkthrough has to be postponed if HappyDoors is unable to accommodate a requested move out appointment date and time.
- It is the responsibility of the resident to deliver all keys, remotes, transponders, and fobs to HappyDoors, either at the move out appointment or delivery to the HappyDoors office. If mailing or delivering these items, they must be received at the time or prior to transferring possession of the property.
- Failure to deliver all keys, remotes, transponders, and fobs may result in additional charges.
- Remember to supply a forwarding address and telephone number for your security deposit refund.
- Use the HappyDoors Moving Checklist so you remember important details.
- In order to evaluate the property during the final walkthrough, the utilities must remain on in your name until the day after walkthrough.
- Your last month’s rent is still due on the 1st, pursuant to Hawaii State Law, the security deposit cannot be used towards last month’s rent.
Preparing the Property
When you are ready to move, if you have questions on how to prepare your residence, please review the move out checklist. All cleaning and repairs need to be completed before your final walkthrough. If the property is not ready when we arrive for the final walkthrough, the appointment have to be rescheduled and there could be a fee; which we want to avoid. Once the walkthrough is complete, you will not be allowed back into the unit.
Your security deposit refund
When you follow the move out procedures leave the property in good condition, it simplifies the task of refunding your security deposit. HappyDoors processes security deposit refunds within 14 days. Note that the deposit, along with a statement detailing any applicable deductions will be mailed by the 14th day and HappyDoors cannot guarantee how long it will take the USPS or other carrier to deliver this to a resident. Remember, HappyDoors wants your move out to be a pleasant and successful process.